Friday, 18 March 2011

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


For my magazine and poster I used similar colours on both as it gave the film its own identity making the audience more likely to recognise it. When designing my magazine cover and poster I looked at existing products so that a knew the typical features of the texts. In particular I looked at magazines such as empire and total film that had a horror film as their main article. When doing this I found that empire rarely used horror films on their front covers whereas Total Film did this is why I chose to use Total film for my magazine as I felt it would be more fitting for the film. For my film poster I chose to use the REC poster as my inspiration as it is a handheld film like ours therefore has a similar style and themes. For the poster I used an image that is very similar to the one on the “REC” poster. When looking at horror film magazine covers and posters I found that the image used on them were mostly of the victim rather than the villain, this made it easy to create my cover as the villain isn't shown in our trailer. On my film poster I decided to keep it simple by only using the colours black and white which is similar to the “REC” and “Paranormal Activity” posters. However I still included all the film information such as producers and film company that was also on the film trailer making the two link together. I also used popular film magazine's and website to show their star rating for the film, by doing this the audience are able to see that the film has critical success and they are therefore more likely yo go and see it. The magazine I made was a horror special which meant that most of the content on the front page was horror related such as the cover lines and tag-line. By using total film on my poster and then using total film as my magazine cover I am able to show that this respected film magazine thinks that the film is or should be successful therefore the combination of the two help to show a good brand identity.


















For my magazine I used very similar features to the Total Film Star Trek special above, they both use similar colour schemes and layouts including barcode details and  listing of films at the side. I chose to do this as I found this magazine to be very effective and "scary" although it is not a horror film.

No comments:

Post a Comment